PLEASE DO NOT SEND IN LISTS OF BOOKS FOR SALE – we can do nothing with them. It is hard enough valuing with the books in front of you, but impossible to do so from lists.
In addition, we cannot help with books from distant sources. The notes that follow are intended as guidance for those who are planning to bring books to the bookshop. If you are geographically distant from the bookshop, the notes should still be helpful, but you will need to use a more local bookshop or auction house.
SOME NOTES ON INCOMING BOOKS
Unfortunately, we cannot help with all the books or recordings that we are offered. These notes are written to help you assess what is, and what is not, valuable in the secondhand book and recording business. Please note that we have to restrict incoming books to two bags or one box per customer.
(For guidance only ~ demand fluctuates. Condition is also an important factor.)
N.B. Please note that due to sustained overload we are unable to take in large consignments of books. Two carrier bags or one box equivalent per visit is the maximum that we can help with.
BOOKS THAT ARE OF GOOD COMMERCIAL VALUE.FOR WHICH WE CAN USUALLY MAKE A GOOD OFFER (N.B. Offers are usually in Barter Credit):
- SOUGHT AFTER SUBJECTS: Examples: Archery, Beekeeping, Heraldry, Northumbria, Canals, Trams, Trains, Maritime, Military, Genealogy, Costume, Falconry, Philosophy, Motorbikes.
- GOOD QUALITY BOOKS: Distinguished by high quality production, high quality illustration, or fascinating subject matter. Examples: Folio Books, Private presses, etc.
- POPULAR AUTHORS/SERIES: Examples: Patrick O’Brian, Ellis Peters, Philip K. Dick, Georgette Heyer, George Orwell, Roald Dahl, Enid Blyton, J K Rowling, W E Johns, Tolkien, Bernard Cornwell, Dr Who, Terry Pratchett, Ian Rankin, Stieg Larsson etc.
- ANTIQUARIAN BOOKS: Any books of intrinsic value our valuer will give guidance.
- COLLECTED BOOKS: Collected First Edition authors (see catalogue). Collected early classic books. Examples: Early editions of Giles, Beano, Broons, Oor Wullie, Eagle, Rupert, Asterix, Observer, Kings England, New Naturalist, Wisden, Ladybird etc.
BOOKS THAT ARE OF LITTLE OR NO COMMERCIAL VALUE (i.e. LOW BARTER ONLY OFFER AT BEST) BUT MANY WILL HAVE TO BE RETURNED TO YOU AS 'NO OFFERS':
- MASS PUBLISHERS: Perfectly good books but published in such huge quantities that they become heavily duplicated in our stock. Examples: Readers Digest, BCA (Book Club Association), Odhams, AA (Automobile Association), QPD (Quality Paperbacks Direct), CLB (Colour Library), Blitz, Hamlyn, Time-Life, M&S (Marks & Spencer), World Books, Reprint Society, Octopus, ‘Coffee Table’ books, etc.
- OUT-OF-DATE AUTHORS: Authors who were once very popular but are now less so, leading to heavy duplication of stock. Examples: Alistair MacLean, James Herriot, Robert Ludlum, Richard Adams, John le Carre, Len Deighton, Jeffrey Archer, Hammond Innes, Desmond Bagley, Tom Sharpe, Jack Higgins, etc.
- CLASSIC AUTHORS PUBLISHED IN MILLIONS: Examples: Dickens, Scott, Burns, Thackeray, Shakespeare, Longfellow, Wells, etc.
- FORMER ‘VOGUE’ BOOKS: Examples: Jaws, Jane Fonda Keep Fit, Adrian Mole, Savages, Some Other Rainbow, An Evil Cradling, Taken on Trust, Royal Books, Margaret Thatcher, etc.
- HARD-TO-SELL BOOKS: Examples: Out-of-date text books, out-of-date school books, out-of-date Encyclopaedias & Dictionaries, as well as such fields as Sociology, Education, Politics, Law, Geography, Business, Theology, Flower arranging, etc.
RECORDINGS (N.B. Recordings seeking a cash offer MUST be logged in ~ the offer should be ready for the following day, after they have been checked):
- VIDEOS: We can make no offer for videos.
- DVDs/BLU-RAYs: We can usually offer barter for good movie DVDs. It is illegal to sell imported DVDs, therefore UK Region 2 dvds and Region B Blu-rays only. No ex-rental or pirate copies please!
- CDs: We can usually offer barter for good quality CDs. We can make no offer for poor condition or pirate CDs.
- TAPES: We can normally offer barter only for talking books, but cannot offer on all other tapes.
- RECORDS: Please see separate 'Vinyl |Records' sheet.
- CD-ROM: We can make no offer on CD-ROM discs or computer games of any platform
- BARTER CREDIT: Most offers are in Barter Credit and are recorded on a card and held in our file to be used ther and then or at any time in the future. Barter can be used for all books, videos, CDs, tapes, records, or gift items in the shop. The only items Barter cannot be used for are food from the Station Buffet, coffee, tea, and cookies. On occasion, for books of special merit and value, a cash offer may be made at our discretion.
- THE OFFER: Do bear in mind that whatever we offer, it is only an offer YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ACCEPT IT! We take no offence whatsoever if our offer is refused!
- NO OFFER ITEMS: Any books or recordings for which we are unable to make any kind of offer will be returned accordingly.
N.B. Any ‘No Offer’ items not removed from the shop by the end of each day will automatically be disposed of, but as we are unable to absorb such stock and the cost of recycling, it is very helpful if you can ensure that you collect any 'No Offer' items.
- CHARITY STOCK: We do acquire large stocks of surplus and duplicate books. If you know of a charity, hospital, or worthy cause that may benefit from having them, please let us know.