A busy-looking station with trains waiting in both platforms in the mid-1950s. A V3 2-6-2T waits at Alnwick's platform one to depart with its train to Alnmouth. The white wooden building was a later addition that bacame the refreshment room; but in later years it was used as a store room where empty pigeon baskets were often kept (Rev John Parker)
Platform Two, where arrivals and departures to and from Alnmouth and Newcastle took place, stands empty waiting, for the next train. Today, this area has been transformed into the Barter Books Shop (Aln Valley Railway Society)
Platform 1 of Alnwick station with the Coldstream train waiting inside the relatively new train shed around 1887. The view displays the wonderful arched roof and stonework of the building. (Aln Valley Railway Society)
A panoramic scene of Alnwick station. The platform of the original station was used for goods traffic, and a gate was added to transform it into an unloading dock for cattle brought in for sale at the local markets. The small building towards the front is the weigh office. Not only are there three sidings full of cattle wagons, but a rake of early carriages stands in the sidings beside platform two. The Lion tower dominates the background skyline. (Roger Carpenter, Duncan Wilcox Collection)
The Prince and Princess of Wales, the future King George V and Queen Mary, are greeted at Alnwick Station in July 1908 by the Duke of Northumberland and other dignitaries. The station is well decorated with floral tributes, and the platform is lined with a company of the Northumberland Fusiliers. (Aln Valley Railway Society)
North Elevation as at 1887
North Elevation today. Right hand door was added after 1938 created for WH Smith's bookshop.
Evacuees from Newcastle on their way to the Northumberland Hall before being billeted in various parts of the district.
From the early 1850s, "No. 73", the very first railway locomotive between Alnwick and Bilton (later renamed Alnmouth) station.
The former coal office at Wagonway Road later became the weigh office for the adjacent weighbridge. This undated picture shows some of the staff posed in front of the office. (John Mallon Collection)
The site of the staith, located at the northern end of Wagonway Road, was used successively by the colliery wagonway and then North Eastern Railway, LNER and British Railways. In this photograph, dating from the BR era, three coal hoppers are positioned over the coal drops. (John Mallon Collection)
On the last day of steam working, 18th June 1966, K1 62011 is seen at Alnwick at 7.20am(John Newbiggin and Neville Stead
Later, class 9F 2-10-0 92099 enters Alnwick station from Alnmouth (John Newbiggin and Neville Stead)
A two-coach DMU stands at platform one waiting for passengers and its departure to Newcastle. It is post-1965 as track has been singled inside the train shed (G Harrop/Duncan Wilcock Collection)
Frank Clegg in 1964 with one of Alnwick's delivery wagons well loaded with bicycles and spades among the vast variety of sundries aboard (Margaret Clegg)
Alnwick station in August 1962. The Lion Tower, known locally as "The Farmers' Folly", stands proudly above the station roof (Aln Valley Railway Society)
Some of the ornate ironwork that could be found in and around Alnwick station. This view is of the entrance to platform one, from where all trains to Coldstream departed before closure of the Cornhill branch. (John Mallon)
On 19th March 1966, class K1 2-6-0 No 62011 stands in the west about to transfer its coaches to the east platform for a departure to Alnmouth (Ian S Carr)
Having moved its coaches into the east platform 62011 now awaits departure to Alnmouth (Ian S Carr)